We started to build our bridges because we were learning about bridges. We knew what each bridge looked like because we went on a walk to see them. I made a plan to make a bream bridge but it had to have something pretty on it so it would look good.
My design is a tied arch bridge. Now it looks like the Fairfield bridge.
I brought in all I needed. I used cardboard boxes and I started to build. I used glue and cellotape. I cut tabs to stick things on but the arches did not need tabs to stick them on. It took a really time. Then I had to paint it. I got it done.
I think I did pretty well. I think it is as good as my design because none of it looks different. I think I think I could have done the abutments better by making them stronger and reinforcing the cardboard.
One week Mrs Nicholson told us we were going to make bridges because we were learning about bridges. We had to bring in our own cardboard, wood, and whatever else we needed. I thought that I could bring something on the last two days. I did but I needed more toilet paper rolls. I only got two so I went to my Mum’s work. The next day I got four paper rolls the same size as the others. I got some cardboard from home and from my Mum’s work. I walked to school with all my cardboard and toothpicks and what I needed.
My design was a beam bridge but when I was finished I thought that my bridge could be better so I cut out some arches and put them on top. It then looked like the Fairfield Bridge. My bridge had a path on both sides. My abutments were really cool. They are like all other abutments. I thought that my abutments were quite crocked.
When we got to start building I started with my beams. I cut all the ends off then glued them together. After gluing my beams together I cut a little into my toilet paper rolls, to make tabs, and glued them to the bottom of the bridge. When that was done I got the scissors and cut little holes about two centimetres from the sides. Then after putting holes in my beam I got my toothpicks and put them in but they fell through. So I waited for the hot glue gun. When they were on my bridge I cut out two arches and went to Mrs Nicholson with line drawn in my cardboard to show the holes that go through. It’s like windows. When Mrs Nicholson had cut them out, using a craft knife, I got it back and glued it on. Then I cut out some abutments and glued them on. Lastly I glued on my string for the fence.
I think my bridge could have been better. But I think it is good enough. I think it was a great idea to bring cardboard, toothpicks, and paper rolls because they were easy to work with and the bridge was strong.